NCOP London Learners
The key objective for our London NCOP is to increase the numbers of Year 9-13 students progressing on to higher level learning. We have set our learner number increase in line with HEFCE figures and we therefore have a target of an additional forty learners progressing on to higher education by the end of 2018.
In addition to the main overall target we will also work to achieve further objectives:
• develop a programme that supports the development of knowledge about the full range of HE opportunities available (both amongst the learners and the key adults who support them).
• the participation in the programme informs HE decision-making and choices.
• develop a programme that is empowering, fostering positive self-development; and explore any differences in the learners’ experiences of the programme linked to whether or not they had aspirations to progress to higher level learning at the beginning of the programme.
Below details the 13 wards, identified by HEFCE, where our programme of activities will be focused.
Table 1: NCOP target ward information for London NCOP
|NCOP target ward||County|
combined county (NUTS2)
|Observed young participation rate||Expected participation rate (accounting for KS4 attainment only)||Expected participation rate (accounting for KS4 attainment and ethnicity)|
|Cray Valley East (00AFGM)||Greater London||22.5%||25.5%||25.4%|
|Eltham West (00ALGW)||Greater London||24.0%||23.6%||27.0%|
|Feltham West (00ATGE)||Greater London||23.8%||25.5%||28.2%|
|Fieldway (00AHGN)||Greater London||17.4%||19.3%||22.4%|
|Gooshays (00ARGG)||Greater London||19.2%||22.5%||22.4%|
|Havering Park (00ARGK)||Greater London||18.5%||24.6%||23.8%|
|Heaton (00ARGL)||Greater London||18.0%||23.1%||23.6%|
|New Addington (00AHGR)||Greater London||16.1%||22.8%||24.1%|
|North End (00ADGR)||Greater London||21.0%||22.5%||24.2%|
|Parsloes (00ABGJ)||Greater London||22.1%||28.5%||29.3%|
|River (00ABGK)||Greater London||22.1%||24.1%||27.1%|
|St Helier (00BFGK)||Greater London||21.8%||22.8%||23.5%|
|Wandle Valley (00BFGU)||Greater London||18.7%||22.5%||23.1%|
- Wards are 2001 Census Area Statistic wards (ONS)
- Rates have been rounded to 1dp
- Observed and expected participation rates are based on tracking state school pupils aged 15 between 2003/04 and 2007/08. For further information click here.
- (5) NCOP target wards are: POLAR3 Q1 and Gaps Q1 or 2 (gaps accounting for KS4 attainment and ethnicity); OR POLAR3 Q1 and Gaps Q1 or 2 (gaps accounting for KS4 attainment only)
To see more the fill data please see HEFCE NCOP webpages.
While AccessHE and Aimhigher London South will focus their work on schools, north and south of the river respectively, Linking London will be engaging with further education and sixth form colleges that sit in, or near to, the wards identified.